One could argue that attending prom is as much a rite of passage as getting one’s driver’s license. Boy and girl dress to the hilt, exchange flowers, and dance in a world of their own making. It’ll be the time of their life!
Such an occasion needs the best prom songs! That’s why we’ve created the ultimate playlists for that magical night, so you can focus on getting ready to party all night long!
Let’s get into it!
The Best Prom Songs 2021
Although fashions and playlists for the best prom songs have evolved, many experiences remain the same. If you don’t believe us, ask an older relative or friend about their prom night experience.
You’ll hear tales of first love, awkward kisses, and getting that dreaded zit. You’ll learn about older songs played at their prom that you never knew existed.
Whether you’re going to your first prom night or reminiscing about those youthful years on the dance floor, we’re going to provide you with the best music!
Here’s our list of the best prom songs 2021:
- “Say So” – Doja Cat
- “Mood” – 24kGoldn
- “Dynamite” – BTS
- “Save Your Tears” – The Weeknd
- “One, Two Step” – Ciara/Missy Elliott
- “Body” – Megan Three Stallion
- “Good Girls Go Bad” – Cobra Starship/Leighton Meester
- “How You Like That” – BLACKPINK
- “Best Friend” – Saweetie/Doja Cat
- “Rockstar” – DaBaby
We’re confident you’ll be playing these 2021 jams long and loud throughout prom season. Which would we pick to be our favorite prom night song? The answer lies below!
Our Favorite 2021 Prom Song
We remember prom night being an exciting time when you could slow dance with your heartthrob. For this reason, we chose “Save Your Tears” as our favorite 2021 prom song.
We love the mid-tempo groove that’s perfect for slicing up the dance floor or slow dancing. The percolating drums and bass have the right energy to get your feet moving.
The catchy melody will have you humming along with the tune. And since proms are a happy time, normally filled with happy songs, who wants to cry?
So even if your heart gets broken, save your tears and enjoy the night!
The Best Prom Songs of All Time
We sorted through the racks and stacks of vinyl hits starting in the 60s to compile this historical journey through the best romantic prom songs.
Even if some of these classics don’t inspire you to grab your prom date and start dancing, we hope you’ll take a listen to appreciate the appeal they had in their heyday.
Our list is an excellent study of how popular music has changed throughout the years. We listed each song chronologically, starting in the 60s.
Here’s our list of the best prom songs of all time:
- “Happy Together” – The Turtles
- “Unchained Melody” – The Righteous Brothers
- “Colour My World” – Chicago
- “Stairway to Heaven” – Led Zeppelin
- “Every Breath You Take” – The Police
- “I’ve Had The Time of My Life” – Bill Medley/Jennifer Warnes
- “Faithfully” – Journey
- “True Colors” – Cyndi Lauper
- “Save the Best for Last” – Venessa Williams
- “Beautiful” – Christina Aguilera
- “Hero” – Enrique Iglesias
- “You and Me” – Lifehouse
- “I Gotta Feeling” – Black Eyed Peas
- “Someone Like You” – Adele
- “We Found Love” – Rihanna
- “Mirrors” – Justin Timberlake
- “All of Me” – John Legend
- “Closer” – The Chainsmokers
- “Perfect” – Ed Sheeran
- “Old Town Road” – Lil Nas X/Billy Ray Cyrus
You’ll find that each track is perfect for that romantic dance when a boy holds the hand of his girl.
But selecting our favorite from this all-star soundtrack was challenging. Should we go nostalgic and grab a golden-goodie when bellbottoms were hip and disco king? Or do we pick a fresh track that today’s youth would play?
Here’s our choice for the favorite prom song of all time!
Our Favorite Prom Song of All Time
In the end, we went with the smash hit from the movie, Dirty Dancing: “I’ve Had the Time of My Life.” Musically, the song is like prom night: the groove is slow and romantic, steadily building with intensity until dancing rules the night.
Like the classic final scene in the movie, the song explodes with the vigor of youth dancing with friends and celebrating life.
We also loved the song’s title and lyrics that sum up what prom night is all about: the time of our lives.
Classic Prom Songs
Now you may be thinking, “Wait, didn’t you just answer this?” Well, sort of. But like any niche or category, there can be varying degrees of focus and intentionality. Let me explain.
Yes, we’ll still grab songs from bygone eras, but our focus will be on the energetic, heart-pumping, raise-those-hands-to-the-ceiling dance tracks.
You may not be familiar with the artist or the band, but we’re sure you’ve heard these chart-toppers.
So dust off your blue suede shoes and put on your prom dress because here’s our list of the best classic prom songs:
- “Dancing On My Own” – Robyn
- “Johnny B Goode” – Chuck Berry
- “The Night is Still Young” – Nicki Minaj
- “Cruel To Be Kind” – Nick Lowe
- “Cool” – Gwen Stefani
- “Footloose” – Kenny Loggins
- “Dancing on the Ceiling” – Lionel Richie
- “Don’t You (Forget About Me)” – Simple Minds
- “Shake Your Groove Thing” – Peaches & Herb
- “If You Leave” – Orchestral Manoeuvres in The Dark
- “You Belong With Me” – Taylor Swift
- “Dancing With Myself” – Billy Idol
- “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” – Cyndi Lauper
- “Let’s Dance” – David Bowie
- “You Should Be Dancing” – Bee Gees
- “Last Dance” – Donna Summer
- “Just Dance” – Lady Gaga
- “Uptown Funk” – Bruno Mars
- “A Million Dreams” – Pink
- “Blinding Lights” – The Weeknd
We’re convinced our song list will supercharge you on that special night to dance into the night! Whether you groove to one of the disco beats or seize the moment to hold the one you love, our playlist will be your “go-to” source for dancing.
We whittled the selection from these twenty hits down to the prime choice for our favorite classic prom song.
Our Favorite Classic Prom Song
Not many songs can stand the test of time. The production techniques date the music, or the melody and lyrics are archaic.
Our choice is one of those timeless songs that never ages. Like a fine wine, “Let’s Dance” ages well with time and is destined for fame in the future, too.
Produced by Nile Rodgers (who crafted dance hits for Chic like “Le Freak”), this Bowie classic oozes groove, funk, and soul. Plus, the title accentuates what prom night is all about: boy and girl dancing “Under the moonlight, this serious moonlight.”
So enjoy the music and do as Bowie croons, “Put on your red shoes and dance the blues…”
Classic Slow Dance Songs For Prom
As prom night nears, one aspect looms large as the most anticipated event: slow dancing with the one you love. It’s that special moment when you sway in time to music that makes you feel like you’re the only dancer in the world.
Whether your prom was in the 60s or this year, we’ve supplied you with twenty of the best songs for grooving nice and easy.
So gather up your courage and take your date’s hand and savor our classic slow dance songs for prom:
- “Let’s Stay Together” – Al Green
- “At Last” – Etta James
- “I Will Always Love You” – Whitney Houston
- “Laffy Taffy” – D4L
- “Good Riddance” – Green Day
- “If I ain’t Got You” – Alicia Keys
- “It’s So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday” – Boyz II Men
- “I’m With You” – Avril Lavigne
- “True” – Spandau Ballet
- “Amazed” – Lonestar
- “I Do (Cherish You)” – 98 Degrees
- “All My Life” – K-C/JoJo
- “Take My Breath Away” – Berlin
- “Angel” – Sarah McLachlan
- “Lay Me Down” – Sam Smith
- “Truly Madly Deeply” – Savage Garden
- “A Moment Like This” – Kelly Clarkson
- “Your Song” – Elton John
- “I Love You” – Billie Eilish
- “I Swear” – All-4-One
Our twenty slow-dancing songs will be a great addition to your prom night playlist, and anytime you want to make the mood romantic.
Now here’s the thing: we’ve only scratched the surface of the fantastic slow tunes you can sway to in the night. We’d love to know what favorites you love to play, so be sure to leave them in the comments below.
Last but not least, here’s our favorite prom slow dance song.
Our Favorite Prom Slow Dance Song
It didn’t take us long to select this classic track. This love ballad starts slow, and the orchestrated strings set the stage for young lovers to draw close. The lyrics voice the promises of love we all long to experience, whether at prom night or the rest of our lives.
The song builds with intensity, and the chorus hooks you from the get-go and never lets loose! Topping it off, this song won the Grammy for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals. What song is it? Drum roll, please…”I Swear” by All-4-One.
Classic Prom Dance Songs
We’ve saved the best for last! We’ve tossed in a classic from the 70s and 80s, but most of our music is from today’s top artists or bands. This is our dream playlist where each song will turn the heat up and set prom night on fire!
The following list of classic prom songs will cover every groove, every genre, and vibe you can imagine.
Don’t assume all of these songs are upbeat, either! We’ve included some classic slow songs to make prom night everything you dream and hope come true!
So put on your party dress! Freshen up that tux! Check this soundtrack to get psyched for prom and the time of your life!
Here’s our list of twenty classic prom dance songs:
- “Baby One More Time” – Britney Spears
- “Wannabe” – Spice Girls
- “Love Story” – Taylor Swift
- “Cha Cha Slide” – DJ Casper
- “Rain On Me” – Lady Gaga/Ariana Grande
- “Don’t Start Now” – Dua Lipa
- “Dance, Dance” – Fall Out Boy
- “Wonderful Tonight” – Eric Clapton
- “Hey Ya” – Outkast
- “Prom Dress” – Lil Jon
- “Feels” – Calvin Harris/Pharrell Williams/Katy PerryBig Sean
- “Fun”- We Are Young
- “Last Friday Night” – Katy Perry
- “Started From the Bottom” – Drake
- “Don’t Stop Believing” – Journey
- “Can’t Hold Us” – Macklemore/Ryan Lewis
- “Thriller” – Michael Jackson
- “Bad Guy”- Billie Eilish
- “Ghost”- Justin Bieber
- “Night Changes”- One Direction
We hope this playlist will be exactly what you need to make your night romantic. Each dynamic song will energize you and your friends to shake off the dust on those dancing shoes!
We had a tough time selecting just one with so many great tunes on our list. But after much deliberation and reflection, we chose a champion.
Here’s our pick for our favorite prom dance song.
Our Favorite Prom Dance Song
We picked “Friday Night” by Katy Perry. The song’s tongue-in-cheek lyrics reminded us of nights long ago when things got, well, a bit “out of hand.”
Despite the carnage and blurred memories, the next day, we realized how much fun we had and couldn’t wait for the following Friday night! Since prom is about having fun with friends, “Friday Night” was an easy pick.
We also loved the infectious groove and isn’t overproduced, which would drown out Perry’s voice and the lyric’s intrigue.
We especially loved the chorus that is so catchy that we’re certain you’ll chime in and be shouting it at the top of your lungs with friends.
Getting Ready For Prom Songs
So the time draws near; the big night is right around the corner. The band is well-rehearsed, or the DJ puts the final touches on the last track. Aside from getting your dress or tux, there’s something else you’ll need: jams to get you stoked for prom night!
We’ve assembled a fun-filled set that will work with the varying moods of the evening. There’ll be some chill as ice tracks, some fist-pumping grooves, and some sing-along hits, too.
So play these songs as the clock clicks down to that unforgettable night!
- “Dress You Up” – Madonna
- “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” – Whitney Houston
- “Tik Tok” – Kesha
- “Music Feels Better” – Selena Gomez
- “Dance Off” – Ryan Lewis
- “Blank Space” – Taylor Swift
- “Super Bass” – Nicki Minaj
- “Possession” – Sarah McLachlan
- “What U Goin’ Do” – Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz, Lil Scrappy
- “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” – Green Day
- “What Makes You Beautiful” – One Direction
- “Good Times” – Chic
- “Bad Habits” – Ed Sheeran
- “Pump It” – Black Eyed Peas
- “Smokin’ Out The Window” – Bruno Mars
- “Positions” – Ariana Grande
- “Smooth” – Michael Jackson
- “Can’t Stop the Feeling” – Justin Timberlake
- “Toxic” – Britney Spears
- “Let’s Groove” – Earth, Wind and Fire
When you listen to our getting ready for prom songs, we hope the music will ease any anxiety that comes with the evening and get you stoked to party!
However, if you’re not feeling our prom playlists, then check out the 100 best party songs for more great tunes to dance to.
That concludes our list for the 100 Best Prom Songs: The Ultimate Prom Playlist! We hope our playlists get played before, during, and long after prom night is a faded memory.